416th Bombardment Group (L)
Douglas Aircraft Co. Advertisement - ca. 1942
Maintenance Personnel training on A-20 hydraulics
50caliber machine guns on the A-20G
Typical flight of six A-20s
A-20 Models used by 416th BG
The 416th Bomb Group flew several models of the A-20 "Havoc".
Glass-nosed models, used primarily as "Lead Ships" with a Bombardier/Navigator
in addition to the Pilot and two Gunners were the A-20B, A-20J and A-20K.
The solid-nosed "Gun Ship" model was A-20G.
Left: Parked A-20B from the 2911th BS
Right: A-20J-5-DO, 43-9444, 5H-J "Timmy II"
(Photos from Captain Francis J. Cachat's 416th Photo Collection)
Left: Lt. Alton Roy Turman in the cockpit of A-20K Serial # 44-614
(Photo from Lt. Alton Roy Turman Photo Collection)
Right: A-20G-25-DO, 43-9224, F6-E "Miss Laid".
First A-20 Havoc to complete 100 missions without a failure, renamed "La France Libre" for a ceremony in Paris.
(Photo from Captain Francis J. Cachat's 416th Photo Collection)
The official 416th Bomb Group description of the Group's Conversion from A-20 to A-26 type aircraft
states "Conversion to the A-26 Invaders was completed on 5 November . The A-20s that we had been using were flown back to England."
Many of these A-20's likely were sent to USAAF Station 597, Langford Lodge, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, U.K.
Information provided by Will Lindsay, Curator USAAF Station 597 Museum - Langford Lodge,
notes that aircraft from 8th and 9th Air Force Bomb Groups began to arrive at Langford Lodge in late 1944 after the base
was re-designated a Storage and Experimental station, attached to the Base Air Depot Area, BADA.
Aircraft continued to arrive until around the end of June 1945, weeks before the base was due to close.
Included were many of the A-20 Havoc aircraft from the 409th, 410th and 416th Bomb Groups upon being replaced by the A-26 Invader.
Aerial photograph of aircraft in open storage at Langford Lodge, including several 416th BG A-20s.
(Photo courtesy Will Lindsay)
Some of these aircraft were refurbished for continued use, many were prepared for long-term storage and others salvaged.
Some that were initially stored at Langford Lodge were subsequently flown and stored at the 1st Base Air Depot (BAD), at Burtonwood, England.
Langford Lodge closed in August 1945 and after the end of WWII, many of the aircraft at Burtonwood were salvaged
as documented in photographs below provided by Will Lindsay.
416th BG, 669th Bomb Sq. A-20 2A-V, right-side foreground
Left: 416th BG, 671st Bomb Sq. A-20 5C-K in right-side background
Right: 416th BG, 671st Bomb Sq. A-20 5C-C in right-side background
Left and Right: 416th BG, 668th Bomb Sq. A-20G 5H-?
Left: 409th BG, 640th Bomb Sq. A-20 W5-?