9th AF Patch

416th Bombardment Group (L)

9th Air Force

USAAF

 

 

WWII-Medal

Return to Table of Contents



Insigne. Shield: Azure, a bezant winged argent charged with the Arabic numeral "9" gules, in
honor point a mullet of the second bearing a torteau. (Approved 16 Sep 1943.)


The Ninth Air Force was activated on November 12, 1942 as a successor to the U.S. Army Middle East Air Forces. It originally consisted of the IX Bomber Command; the IX Fighter Command and the 316th Troop Carrier Group. The latter evolved into the IX Troop Carrier Command. The Ninth Air Force moved from the Middle East to the United Kingdom on 16 October 1943. Headquarters for the Ninth AF was established at RAF Burtonwood and the IX Bomber Command was headquartered at Marks Hall on RAF Earls Colne. On the 26th of November, 1943, the 97th Bombardment Wing (Light) was added to the IX Bomber Command with its headquarters initially at Marks Hall as well. The wing moved to Little Walden, Essex on March 13, 1944 and to France on September 13, 1944. The 97th Bomb Wing was comprised of three groups, the 409th, 410th and 416th, initially assigned A-20 Havoc bombers and by the end of 1944 the A-26 Invader. Each Group consisted of four squadrons. The 416th Bomb Group included the 668th, 669th 670th and 671st Bomb Squadrons and was stationed at RAF Wethersfield from February 1st 1944 until the unit moved to France on September 21, 1944. The Ninth AF was deactivated in December 1945 and reactivated in March 1946 as part of the new U.S. Air Force structure.

 

Lt. General Lewis H. Brereton

Commander, 9th AF (Nov '42 - Aug '44)

 

General Hoyt S. Vandenberg

Commander, 9th AF (Aug '44 - Jul 45)

 

Major General Samuel E. Anderson

Commander, IX Bomber Command (Oct '43 - May '45)

 

Brigadier General Edward N. Backus

Commander, 97th Bomb Wing (Mar '44 - May '45)